Home vegan Vegan Month of Food 2013 – Dessert Edition!

Vegan Month of Food 2013 – Dessert Edition!

by Mihl
Vegan Month of Food 2013 – Dessert Edition!

Classic German Desserts

September starts in less than two weeks! That is exiting because this year September is the Vegan Month of Food. Until last year I took part every single year since 2007. Last year I skipped because honestly, all I could have written about would have been puréed baby food. For this year I am prepared and I hope everyone else is, too: For 30 days of awesome vegan recipes, stories, and contributions from bloggers who live in many parts of the world. On this blog you should also be prepared for a month of sugar and fat overload. Yep, that’s right.

I am still not committed to a super to a super healthy lifestyle and in the name of VeganMoFo and all fellow sugar lovers I want to dedicate this September to Classic German Desserts! I am going to try to veganise (more or less) traditional cake, cookie, and pastry recipes, starting with a as in Apfelkuchen and ending with z as in Zitronenkuchen or Zimtsterne. I already made a list of desserts I want to make. But if you have suggestions for German desserts that you would like to see here during September, please leave a comment!

My list will be very subjective, of course, including some local specialities not everyone might be familiar with. Since this is a very time consuming and elaborate challenge, I decided not to come up with my own recipes for this month. Instead I will be veganising recipes that can be found on websites like Dr. Oetker or Küchengötter. I’ll try to explain substitutes and alternative methods, so that new vegans or those new to baking and vegan baking might find the posts helpful. Since not even I (we) can probably eat that amount of cake, I’ll try to come up with many halved recipes, mini-versions and desserts which freeze easily.

Well, that is what I’ll be doing for veganMoFo.  Are you also participating?

60 comments

You may also like

60 comments

Cat September 3, 2013 - 14:23

Looking forward to this! If I can make a request…I would live to see something with marzipan. Though it’s hard to find the good stuff (eg., Luebecker) in the States, it’s so worth it!

Mihl September 3, 2013 - 14:26

I love marzipan, too and I have some recipes with marzipan coming up. Watch the next post later today:)

East Meets West Veg September 3, 2013 - 03:43

Wow, what a great theme! This is my first year doing mofo and I did not choose a theme. Just posting so much seems hard enough, but your theme has inspired me for the future!

Richa September 2, 2013 - 07:50

love the theme Mihl. i am sure i dont even know of most german classic desserts even before going vegan. This is going to be one delicious month

Alexander Harvey September 1, 2013 - 17:52

I love German desserts! Specially german yeasted plum cake- YUM! Im doing yeast as my mofo theme :)

findingveganstrength August 31, 2013 - 21:31

I’ve been seeing pflaumenkuchen in the bakeries and just picked up some plums, with hopes of making a vegan version. Is this on your list?

Mihl September 1, 2013 - 12:34

What is your favourite version? I have this one on the blog:

findingveganstrength September 1, 2013 - 20:02

That looks awesome! I can’t believe I missed this. I guess I didn’t realize there were so many versions. I’ll have to start trying each (starting with this one) and decide a favorite.

Bonnie August 30, 2013 - 23:25

What an awesome theme! I don’t think I’ve had that many German desserts so I can’t wait to see your veganisations.

Vaishali August 29, 2013 - 22:27

Mihl, what a fantastic theme for MoFo. I was really hoping to participate this year– have never done so, surprisingly– but won’t be able to anymore because of travel plans. I will look forward though to catching up with the delicious treats you and other vegan bloggers dish out.

Kelly August 29, 2013 - 03:16

Oh hooray! What a lovely theme; I’m excited it for it. I’m doing seasonal fruits!

Also, I think a baby food-themed MoFo would actually be excellent.

Gabi August 27, 2013 - 17:44

Dampfnudeln mit Vanillesauce, bitte!
This will be my First MoFo, so excited to join! My main theme will be starting to Cook vegan, as I have just become strictly vegan. Now I want something Dampfnudel, should not have mentioned them…

Mihl August 28, 2013 - 10:06
Malitsu August 27, 2013 - 09:54

This sounds so wonderful. I started to feel a temptation to take part as well, especially since half my friends seem to be writing NaNoWriMos. Couple of more days to consider.

Oh, and that month about baby food would’ve been totally awesome as well! (Well, perhaps I didn’t think so a year ago…)

Judith August 26, 2013 - 18:46

Was mir noch einfällt wäre: Granatsplitter, Windbeutel, Schmalzgebäck wie Krapfen, Knieküchle (Ausgezogene), …, Russisch Brot, Franzbrötchen, Kaltschalen, Götterspeise, Kirschenmichel, Ofenschlupfer, Arme Ritter, Milchnudeln, Dampfnudeln, Kaiserschmarrn …

Mihl August 27, 2013 - 08:39

Super Ideen, danke!

dropscone August 24, 2013 - 09:31

I’m really looking forward to your theme. Will you be doing anything with a German buttercream? It seems like it might be difficult to substitute the amount of eggs, but I love the idea of a less-sweet frosting with the sugar cooked in.

Mihl August 24, 2013 - 17:13

Many nonvegan people don’t even use the eggs anymore. There are lots of recipes (For bienenstich, donauwelle etc.) call for custard powder instead. So they already made it easier for vegans:)

Val August 24, 2013 - 04:09

Yay, German desserts veganized, I can’t wait!!! As a fellow German I look forward to see what you come up with! (I’m hoping to find ‘Bienenstich’ among the recipes too!? ;) )

Greetings from Pennsylvania, USA =)

Val

Constanze August 23, 2013 - 13:22

I would love to eat “Bayrisch Creme” again, which is a very rich vanilla custard. I don’t know if you know it.
Since I saw mostly baked goods, maybe you want to include some other desserts, like custards, too?
I tried to veganize it once, but it didn’t come close.

Mihl August 23, 2013 - 19:09

I have heard about it, but I have actually never tried it.

Marlene @ Jade and Fern August 22, 2013 - 18:51

Yippee! Freu’ mich schon! :)

Eeee August 22, 2013 - 18:20

I’m so glad you are participating and I’m excited about your theme!
Awhile ago, I veganized a German blueberry cake. I don’t remember the name, but it was very good. It was a sort of very flat, slightly dense sheet cake that was topped with a mix of yogurt, quark, maybe sour cream, and blueberries. It might have been Heidelbeerkuchen and I think I found the recipe on ChefKoch.de, and I might be able to find the specific one I used, if you would like. It was really fun to translate the recipe and to make. It was an nice break from the usual American desserts.

Happy baking and best of luck with Vegan Mofo! I’m considering working on a blog and participating too.

Mihl August 23, 2013 - 07:00

There are many cakes similar to the one you made. Sheet cakes with fruit and yoghurt/sour cream or quark (curd cheese) are very popular. I also love the blueberry ones.

Katrin August 22, 2013 - 11:23

Großartig! Awesome theme! I’m already loosing my belt in joyful expectation…

Maggie Muggins August 22, 2013 - 00:15

Yes! Yes! Yes! Bring on the fat and sugar! Really looking forward to your Mofo theme Mihl. I’ve picked a theme but I’ve been super procrastinating with prep stuff. I’m not sure if I’ll make it through the whole month but I’m already signed up, eek! Fingers crossed I don’t crash and burn.

melissa August 21, 2013 - 16:36

Oh my god, you just made my day. Bienenstich is one of my favorite cakes, I’m crossing my fingers it’s on your list.

Mihl August 22, 2013 - 06:52

It is!

Jojo August 21, 2013 - 13:35

Yay! As always I can’t wait to read your MoFoing, I missed you last year!

Brigitte August 21, 2013 - 12:29

Welch geniale Idee – ich weiß jetzt schon, dass ich permanent auf Deiner Seite verweilen werde! :-) Typisch deutsches, süßes Gebäck: Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, Donauwellen, Frankfurter Kranz, Käsekuchen, Hefezopf, Zwetschkendatschi, Butterkuchen, Apfelkuchen, Mohnschnecken, belegte Obstkuchen… Freue mich sehr auf Deine Beiträge und wünsche Dir viel Spaß und Erfolg beim Backen! Viele liebe Grüße

Mihl August 21, 2013 - 12:35

Hast Du etwa heimlich meine Liste gelesen? Das meiste steht schon drauf. (Nur der Frankfurter Kranz nicht. Buttercreme Overload;))

rita August 21, 2013 - 11:30

Wonderful theme! I’m looking forward to it :).
I’m also participating in VeganMoFo but I don’t really have a theme because I’m kinda unorganised ;).

Mihl August 21, 2013 - 12:36

Me, too. It’s the first time I have a theme and it turned out to be more work than doing MoFo without a theme.

moni August 21, 2013 - 10:51

wow – I look forward to that – I love sweets!!! I hope many are without nuts (I’m allergic).
have fun cooking and backing – I guess I’ll try vegan Buchteln with vanilla sauce with my little sister next week.

Moni

Mihl August 21, 2013 - 12:37

Thanks for mentioning that. I love nuts and I often use them for cream substitutes, too. I am sure I’ll can post some recipes without nuts.

findingveganstrength August 21, 2013 - 09:52

Yay! This is so exciting! Great theme! I know I will find it helpful. Today, I’m going to attempt vegan kugelhopf.
I’d love to participate. We are still waiting on Internet in the house, but maybe I can find a way (and the time) to get a daily post in.

Mihl August 21, 2013 - 12:38

It would be so great if you could participate! Good luck with the internet connection. (Deutsche Telecom, eh? They are super slow.)

Susan August 21, 2013 - 04:45

Oooh, what a great theme! No MoFo for me this year, I am just going to enjoy reading everyone’s blogs.
One of my favourite German sweets is Pfeffernüsse, I love them! I haven’t had any for 16 years, but I still remember them. My dad is German (well, born here in Australia but with German parents) and they were part of every Christmas growing up.
If they might happen to find their way into your MoFo (or maybe after MoFo if you already have a P), I would be very happy. :D

Mihl August 21, 2013 - 06:37

Susan, that is a great idea! I didn’t have those on my list yet. Thanks!

Hannah August 21, 2013 - 03:11

I know sachretortes aren’t strictly german, but I’d love to see a vegan version. Since visiting Vienna a few months ago, I am sachretorte-obsessed.

Mihl August 21, 2013 - 06:38

Yeah, it’s Austrian but also very popular in Germany. I’ll put it on my list. Thank you, Hannah!

Shannon August 21, 2013 - 02:49

I have decided to commit to MoFo again this year! It will be all sweets for me as well. I’m not going to have a set theme, aside from baking things that are all new to me. I have been toying with the idea of doing weekly themes. A week of gluten free, a week of pastry, etc.

Mihl August 21, 2013 - 06:39

Oh, cool! I am looking forward to your posts.

luminousvegans August 21, 2013 - 00:30

Oooh, a whole month of decadent desserts! Yay! I am still wavering on joining Vegan Mofo. I don’t feel prepared or even have a theme. It’s super intimidating.

Kyla August 21, 2013 - 00:23

Ooo, desserts? And German at that? I’m really looking forward to this! I’ve wanted to try out some German recipes, but it’s been difficult to find recipes posted in English with U.S. measurements. Of course, I can overcome this with a little research or investment, but it’s easier without having to do this. Thanks for your dedication to this project!

Mihl August 21, 2013 - 06:40

Kyla, there is a great conversion calculator over at gormetsleuth. I use it often – it’s pretty accurate.

Sarah August 21, 2013 - 00:18

Ooh—love this theme! When I was in high school German we all brought a German dessert to school and then set up a cafe as a fundraiser. I made one that was made of lots of pancakes with a hazelnut filling in it? Do you have any idea what that might be? I’d love to even learn what that one is called!

Mihl August 21, 2013 - 06:43

I know an Italian cake made that way, but never saw something like that here. I’ll try to find out!

susan August 20, 2013 - 19:45

Above is my comment..I must have done something worng but then I am new to computers….Susan

Mihl August 20, 2013 - 19:48

No, you didn’t do anything wrong. Your comments are just pending until I approve them:)

susan August 20, 2013 - 19:43

Please, please make a vegan pound cake. I click on one of De. Oetker and saw a delicious pound cake under the word “Vorbereiten” hopefully you will use your magical talents and remove most of the fat and sugar and still be a pound cake? Oui ?
Thank you and lot of luck! Susan

Mihl August 20, 2013 - 19:52

Sorry Susan, but I cannot seem to find that cake. Pound cakes don’t really have an equivalent in German baking. Maybe you can explain what kind of cake you saw?

Emma August 20, 2013 - 18:24

What fun! I’m not very familiar with German desserts- I can only think of Schwarzwälderkirschtorte (Black forest gateau to us Brits) so can’t wait to see what you have to share with us :)
I’m still undecided if I’m going to participate this year. I’d love to but September’s going to be a really busy month. I do have a potential theme so if I do a bit of planning and prep I might be able to take part.

Mihl August 20, 2013 - 18:29

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte is definitely on my list! And I agree, September is super busy. I hope you can do it.

Elizabeth August 20, 2013 - 16:56

I can’t wait!

Johanna August 20, 2013 - 16:42

oh, and i’m really looking forward to see what you do!

Johanna August 20, 2013 - 16:41

luscious desserts don’t have to be too sweet, and when i lived in germany, they weren’t. even recently when i was doubling a recipe (http://www.wingitvegan.com/2012/12/banana-muffins-with-almond-paste-bits.html) , i forgot to double the sugar. it tasted fine, and i couldn’t have imagined it any sweeter.

Mihl August 20, 2013 - 19:56

Yeah, I agree. Many German desserts are sweet, but not too sweet. They contain almost no sugar if you compare them for example to a cupcake frosting;) And that muffin looks great! I love River’s recipes.

Matylda August 20, 2013 - 16:38

Hi, I wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blog. I think that your theme for veganMoFo is fantastic. I can’t wait to see your creations :)

If I participate (I really hope to), I am thinking of Polish Favorites Veganised theme. Cheers!

Mihl August 20, 2013 - 18:26

Oh please do! Your theme sounds wonderful.

Comments are closed.