Home vegan Butterkuchenmuffins {Yeasted Muffins with Roasted Almond Topping}

Butterkuchenmuffins {Yeasted Muffins with Roasted Almond Topping}

by Mihl

butterkuchen muffins

Of course there is no butter in these muffins. Not even vegan butter. Although many butterkuchen recipes call for vegan butter or margarine because you are supposed to put flakes of butter on the dough. Well, I decided to do things a little differently by a. not making a baking sheet of cake and b. by using roasted almond oil instead of the butter.

Butterkuchen. Every Northern German has childhood memories about butterkuchen. My memories are church and community related. Whenever we children had to attend parish events, there was butterkuchen. At every funeral there was butterkuchen. Everyone always seemed to serve us butterkuchen. Maybe I never ate anything else? I remember that in preparation for our first communion we had to attend some meetings, accompanied by our parents. We were led into a huge room in our community hall where some parish members had set up long tables with white tablecloths and huge plates of butterkuchen cut into stripes. I seriously don’t remember why we were there and what they told us. I think the main purpose for us to be there was, as always, to eat butterkuchen and drink red grape juice. Ew, how I hated red grape juice. I still hate it. I usually just gulped the glass down and then dedicated myself to the soft, sweet, and crunchy slice of butterkuchen. And then to another one.

Butterkuchen is a simple and humble cake. It’s just a yeast cake baked on large baking sheets and usually sold in long stripes cut from the sheet. The special thing about butterkuchen is that it has a topping made from butter, sugar, and sliced almonds. This topping is applied before baking so that the butter sinks in and makes the cake even softer. Together with the roasted almonds this makes the cake quite addictive.

I didn’t feel like making a whole sheet (no Norhtern Germans to feed.). And I think these muffins look nicer than a plain cake. Also, they are slighly different from a genuine butterkuchen. Not only because I didn’t use butter, but because of special purpose of the oil in this recipe. During baking the oil will sink into the slots between the dough and the tin and fry the muffin a little bit from all sides. Which makes it more like a doughnut that a butterkuchen. Which probably means that I should move to New York and start selling bukunuts. Or whatever fancy name we can find for this.

Butterkuchen Muffins (makes 8 muffins)

adapted from this recipe

For the yeasted muffins:
135 ml (1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon) soy milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons coconut oil
210 g (1 3/4 cups) flour
10 g fresh yeast or 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
1 /4 teaspoon salt
roasted almond oil for brushing (canola, peanut, or sunflower oil works, too.)

Combine soy milk, sugar, and coconut oil in a small pot. Warm gently over low heat until the oil has melted. Let cool until luke warm.

Add the flour to a large bowl. Make a well and add the yeast (even if it’s instant). Pour the liquid mixture into the well and let sit for 10 minutes. Add salt and knead the dough well. It’s enough to knead this dough for 2-3 minutes. It should still be sticky and the gluten will continue to develop while you let it rest and rise. So don’t worry about it being sticky. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.

Grease eight cups of a muffin tin with oil. Divide the dough into eight equally sized pieces. Shape into balls and press into the cups. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for another 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Remove the towel and use your thumb to make a little well in the centre. Generously brush each muffin with roasted almond oil or whatever you have on hand.

muffins

For the topping

3 tablespoons sugar
40 g (1/3 cup) slivered almonds

Combine sugar and almonds in a bowl and mix well. Generously sprinkle on top of the muffins.

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure that an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool until luke warm or cool and serve immediately. They will dry out fast, so eat them up!

28 comments

You may also like

28 comments

East Meets West Veg March 12, 2014 - 05:59

I love when you share German desserts and stories! Great narrative.

bodhi March 12, 2014 - 00:56

These are so delicious! Nice and lightly sweet. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Mihl March 12, 2014 - 09:56

W00t, that’s awesome. Thanks, Bodhi!

Ruby March 3, 2014 - 18:08

These are adorable and look delicious. Bukunuts- love it. You could definitely start a new craze with that one.

Randi (laughfrodisiac) March 1, 2014 - 03:49

I didn’t know there was such a thing as yeasted muffins…I realize that that’s pretty dumb. These look wonderful! And I love that there’s no butter in the butterkuchen. Of course!

Kirschbiene February 28, 2014 - 19:08

Hi Mihl, ich konnte nicht widerstehen und habe deine Butterkuchenmuffins gebacken :-). Der Hefeteig war wirklich sehr klebrig, gut, dass du das erwähnt hattest – ich habe mir beim Kneten dann gesagt, die liebe Mihl backt auch nicht erst seit gestern, das wird schon alles so passen. Und tatsächlich: Das Ergebnis war ein Gedicht! Ganz locker-fluffige kleine Gebäckteilchen, toll aufgegangen und sooo lecker.. Die gibt es nun öfter ;-).

Mihl February 28, 2014 - 20:20

Das freut mich sehr:)

panda cookie February 26, 2014 - 19:25

I will come by the bukunuts! These look lovely.

panda cookie February 26, 2014 - 22:48

buy not by.

Amey February 25, 2014 - 00:20

holy cow, Mihl, these look and sound so divine. I love yeasted rolls and I love the simplicity of this recipe. They look perfect!!! <3

Bonnie February 24, 2014 - 22:54

Bukunuts (butterknuts?) could be the new cronut! or something like that. In any case, these sound delicious, especially with the almonds and almond oil, and they look so pretty with the sugar on top. I always love reading about your vegan adaptations of German recipes.

By the way, I made your tiramisù recipe a while back and it was amaaazing. I’m already looking for an excuse to make it again.

Kirschbiene February 24, 2014 - 16:20

Liebe Mihl, Butterkuchen scheint kein rein norddeutsches Phänomen zu sein ;-). Auch meine Kindheit, fernab vom Norden, war geprägt durch diesen Kuchen. Neben Butterkuchen war übrigens auch Streuselkuchen vom Blech ein solcher Klassiker meiner frühen Tage. Ich konnte beiden nie sooo viel abgewinnen und doch stand einer der beiden Kuchen so oft auf den diversen Kaffeetafeln, unfassbar! Heute mag ich beide Kuchen jedoch :-). Und deine Butterkuchen-Muffins sehen so goldig und verführerisch aus, die muss ich wirklich mal probieren. Eine tolle Idee.
Liebe Grüße
Kirschbiene

Mihl February 24, 2014 - 16:33

Das stimmt natürlich!

Lisa February 24, 2014 - 14:48

Oh my god, these are so good! They look pretty and taste amazing, especially when they’re still warm. They remind me of ‘suikerwolkjes/Zuckerwolke’ I ate once in a bakery in Münster. That’s almost 14 years ago, but I always wished I’d find some kind of recipe some day because I’d never tasted anything like it. And now I’ve found one! Finally :)

Mihl February 24, 2014 - 15:39

Suikerwolkjes sounds really great! So glad you like these!

Lisa February 28, 2014 - 11:12

Do you have any idea how to keep these moist a little longer by the way? :)

Mihl February 28, 2014 - 12:11

No. Yeasted baked goods like this dry out pretty fast and there’s nothing one can do. You could freeze the unbaked muffins before brushing them with oil and applying the topping though.

Lisa March 1, 2014 - 13:08

Thanks for the tip!

marliesgierls February 24, 2014 - 12:48

Mich hat es ja nun nach Norddeutschland verschlagen und deine Beschreibung trifft hier auch heute noch zu, ohne Butterkuchen läuft nichts. Aber die Idee als Muffin finde ich toll, das mache ich bestimmt bald, da ich momentan sehr gute Äpfel für meine Pferde habe, da ist immer ein Vorrat da. lg Marlies

Mihl February 24, 2014 - 15:40

Meinst Du Butterkuchen mit Äpfeln? Das hört sich aber lecker an.

nrttadevi February 24, 2014 - 11:51

Jaja, der norddeutsche Butterkuchen! Ich muss gestehen, dass ich ihn als Kind gar nicht so mochte. Beerdigungen und irgendwie doofe Besuche bei weniger geliebten Verwandten… Später habe ich ihn dann über die Hintertür eines “Holsteiner Plattenkuchen” (Sahneguss über die Mandeln” wieder für mich entdeckt. Vielleicht sollte ich den auch mal veganisieren und als Muffins neuerfinden… ;-) Danke für Deine immer wieder tollen Rezepte!!!

Johanna GGG February 24, 2014 - 10:02

this looks so delicious – I wish we had lots of yeasted cakes in my childhood memories – we either had yeasted bread or unyeasted cakes but I have tried yeasted cakes and they are just so delicious – I wish myself back to your church halls of butterkuchen slices and red grape juice – I even like red grape juice

Jill February 24, 2014 - 07:37

Bukunuts – good one! This looks really delish … Thanx for veganizing your recipes!

Hannah February 24, 2014 - 02:39

Oh man these look incredible!

Andrea February 24, 2014 - 01:53

I’m sure these are so much better than the originals! Beautiful as always.

Schlomo Arbeytmän February 23, 2014 - 23:21

Beyond pure awesomeness….

Kerstin Decker February 23, 2014 - 21:19

Ich backe die Muffins sofort. Mein Mann ist so einer der gerne Susses mag und das sieht ja herrlich und genusshaft aus. Danke, Kerstin

Mihl February 24, 2014 - 07:57